Elaborate: 20 minutes
Take a Stand
You will provide students with a statement to which they will either agree or disagree. Assign a side of the room that will represent “agree” and a side of the room that will represent “disagree”. Explain there is no middle ground, thus the title – Take a Stand.
Let students know you will be asking to students to share why they chose the side they did as well as provide strong evidence for their agreement or disagreement. If you have never done this before with your students it can be like pulling teeth, but after using this type of tool you will find it has strengthen your student’s ability to think critically, support their claims with evidence, as well as build their confidence.
*Important Note* This activity should reflect a zero tolerance atmosphere. Students should feel free to share their voice without penalty or criticism from the class.
Choose one or more of the following statements.
- Climate change is supported by 99% of scientists.
- You can’t be a scientist and be religious or vice versa, you can’t be religious and believe in science.
- Climate change is not a global problem.
- Water scarcity cannot cause war.
- Climate change affects wildlife.
- Water scarcity is a non-issue because about 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered in water.