ENGAGE: 20 MINUTES
- Distribute the weather and climate maps, found on page 8, 1 per pair of students.
- Ask each student to create a T-Chart in their science notebook, labeling one column Map 1 and the other column Map 2.
- Student will analyze the map for their similarities and differences and noting them in their T-Chart.
- Next have students work with another pair to discuss their analysis of the maps. Did they come up with the same information? Any differences between groups?
- Lastly allow students to respond to the following questions and then discuss as a class.
- Based on what you know about weather and climate and the discussions you have with your peers, identify which map is a weather and which is a climate map, and then explain your reasoning.
- Come up with your own definition for weather and climate based on your prior knowledge and discussions you’ve had today.